Thomaston’s current courthouse was built in 1908 in the Neoclassical Revival style. It sits atop a Washington-style square decorated with various monuments, including a pedestal to General John B. Gordon, the famous Confederate general (more about him here and here). Of unique interest is a monument to the first cannonball shot during the Civil War, brought there from Fort Sumter by a reporter who saw it being fired on December 26, 1860.
The Archives are the official repository of the governmental and historical documents of Upson County. It also contains much of the Upson Historical Society’s collection along with documents and items donated by private individuals. Its library contains county and city census and court records, newspapers from 1833 to today, school records, and a large amount of genealogical books,records and manuscripts. The basement contains a meeting hall seating ninety people. The Archives are open weekdays, with the exception of certain holidays, and the head Archivist, Penny Cliff, can be contacted at email@example.com for events and special information.
Glenwood Cemetery is the resting place of many of the founders and important men and women of Upson County and the surrounding area with graves dating from the 1830’s to the present day. Also of interest is a section with the graves of 54 Confederates who died in Thomaston between July-October 1864. A marker over the graves reads:
Here rest 54 Confederate soldiers, all of whom died in the Confederate hospitals located in Thomaston. These men came from seven of the Confederate states. Only six are in “unknown” graves. Hospitals located here were the Newsom, Frank Ramsey and several temporary hospitals. The remains of these men were moved to this spot … from their first resting place. The grave of Dr. Edward A. Flewellen, noted Confederate surgeon, is near this spot.
Glenwood Cemetery is open during daylight hours, and is located on S. Hightower Street in Thomaston.
Auchumpkee Creek Bridge
First constructed in 1892 by famed bridge builder, Dr. J. W. Herring, this beautiful bridge served travelers for more than a hundred years before it was destroyed in a flood in 1994. In 1997 FEMA and the Upson County Historic Preservation Commission provided over $200,000 to hire Arnold Graton, a professional bridge builder, to reconstruct the bridge using the same exact design as the original. The bridge now stands fully restored on Allen Rd. It is currently closed to motorized traffic. There is a picnic area nearby.